11.9.11

Accidents Happen

Yesterday my six year old niece said to me "I have to tell you something." Intrigued, I asked "What is it?" She answered: "For the first time I got told off by my teacher..." I interrupted, "For the first or for the tenth time?" She replied (intolerant to my joke), "For the first time". She then started from scratch: "For the second time I got told off by my teacher for not concentrating by accident." Of course, all three adults in her company laughed at this child's admittance that it was not in fact the first time, but moreso at the defense of her classroom neglect as an 'accidental' lack of concentration.

Actually, she is completely right. Of course it was by accident. For who intends to not concentrate? I conclude that she is a very observant young lady.

(I also recall that earlier this year she told me a similar story, where the teacher told her off for not concentrating. She defended herself by saying "I forgot to concentrate as I was looking out of the window." My guess is that these accidents happen on a regular basis.)

No comments: